"*Cough Cough* I'm sick." "Boo, you whore."


  
 So I've been trying to ward off an illness for a few days, trying to avoid paying a copay & missing work. For whatever reason, I really avoid the doctor unless 1) I can't fix it myself or 2) it is a very concerning/painful thing. Last night I realized that this COULD be concerning thing lest I let it continue on, and despite my efforts, I can't fix it, so i shot an email to my manager saying I won't be in 'cause I'm sick. So here I am, sitting on crinkly paper, waiting for the doctor (but hey, look at me multitasking, writing my blog entry on my ipod). And I am racked with guilt.

     Why?  I'm a natural worrier & guilt haver so I feel bad for calling in when I don't have the standard aches, barfing, or "I wish I was dead" feeling. But I DO have a real reason to be here now, so here's reasons why I shouldn't feel guilty for bailing on work today.


  1.  I have a legit illness. One would assume that that's a legit reason to take off, but apparently in my mind this is like lying to your mom about killing a man in Reno. Ease your mind, mother, I killed no man in Reno. Fairfield, yes. Reno, no.
  2.  I didn't  know when my appointment was at the time. I have to call in an hour before I'm supposed to show up. As I usually saunter into work around 7:45ish, that means I have to call when I wake up (yes, I only give myself about 20 minutes to get ready in the morning. Need I remind you I weigh up dried crap for a living? I don't need to look like Halle Berry to weigh up poop). Since the clinic I go to doesn't open until 8, I didn't  know when they'd be able to squeeze  me in, thus, I couldn't  definitively say when I'd be in. Here's a hint: I just won't be in at all.
  3. I deserve it. I worked 46 hours last week. If you'll notice, that is almost a full day of overtime. If I can't take a full day for a maybe 45 minute appointment, after that crap, then I should up & quit. 
  4. I am not a fan of my job and i need a day to decompress. Currently I'm looking for another one. There are a variety of reasons why, but this is a big one: I'm writing a column about feeling guilty for calling in sick. Please. People have designated sick days (well I mean other than me...I'm using a personal day for this nonsense), I shouldn't be made to feel guilty for legit being sick. I don't know if this is just my nature or if this is a byproduct of my manager being a giant bag of dicks lately. All I know is I never used to have a problem switching days at The Pool,  or having C call in sick when at Walgreens. I've taken a couple "mental health" days on my time at my current job (ie: I sat on tumblr at 11am for a few hours in my jammies)& felt mildly guilty, but only because I wasn't sick, and used my best sick voice for it. This is legit, & irrational Kirstie needs to can it.




So here's to those of us working at places we kind of hate, with more irrational guilt than a room full of Catholics at the end of of a successful Mardi Gras. Mazel tov.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They say we are asleep until we fall in love...

In which Kirstie dusts off the blog to bitch about being a dud

Dusting Cobwebs